News That Jesus Has Risen From Death
1. The day after the Sabbath day was the first day of the week. That day at dawn Mary Magdalene and the other woman named Mary went to look at the tomb.
2. Suddenly an angel of the Lord came from the sky, and there was a huge earthquake. The angel went to the tomb and rolled the stone away from the entrance. Then he sat on top of the stone.
3. The angel was shining as bright as lightning. His clothes were as white as snow.
4. The soldiers guarding the tomb were very afraid of the angel. They shook with fear and then became like dead men.
5. The angel said to the women, “Don’t be afraid. I know you are looking for Jesus, the one who was killed on the cross.
6. But he is not here. He has risen from death, as he said he would. Come and see the place where his body was.
7. And go quickly and tell his followers, ‘Jesus has risen from death. He is going into Galilee and will be there before you. You will see him there.’” Then the angel said, “Now I have told you.”
8. So the women left the tomb quickly. They were afraid, but they were also very happy. They ran to tell his followers what happened.
9. Suddenly, Jesus was there in front of them. He said, “Hello!” The women went to him and, holding on to his feet, worshiped him.
10. Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Go tell my followers to go to Galilee. They will see me there.”
Report to the Jewish Leaders
11. The women went to tell the followers. At the same time, some of the soldiers who were guarding the tomb went into the city. They went to tell the leading priests everything that happened.
12. Then the priests met with the older Jewish leaders and made a plan. They paid the soldiers a lot of money
13. and said to them, “Tell the people that Jesus’ followers came during the night and stole the body while you were sleeping.
14. If the governor hears about this, we will talk to him and keep you out of trouble.”
15. So the soldiers kept the money and obeyed the priests. And that story is still spread among the Jews even today.
Jesus Talks to His Followers
16. The eleven followers went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus told them to go.
17. On the mountain the followers saw Jesus. They worshiped him. But some of the followers did not believe that it was really Jesus.
18. So he came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth is given to me.
19. So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
20. Teach them to obey everything that I have told you to do. You can be sure that I will be with you always. I will continue with you until the end of time.”
Chapters in Matthew :